Meet Stuart Lawrence
I am a qualified Barrister with over 25 years’ experience. I started my career working for HM Customs and Excise (as was) initially as a prosecutor before becoming responsible for managing civil litigation matters, often before the High Court.
Thereafter, I worked in the field of commercial litigation and civil advisory for the Governments own ‘in house law firm’, known as Treasury Solicitors. Whilst working for Treasury Solicitors I became deeply involved in construction matters, Project Finance, the Private Finance Initiative (‘PFI’) and large-scale complicated commercial contracts. I also led and managed a team of 4 lawyers responsible for protecting the Government’s interests on the aforementioned contracts.
With an honours degree in economics and a period of time working in the insurance market within Lloyds of London, before I became a Barrister, I have always had a strong appreciation of business issues which I believe gives me a real insight into what the commercially imperatives are for commercial entities and private parties.
Having decided to go from ‘Gamekeeper to Poacher’ in 2006 leaving Treasury Solicitors and joining the Bouygues Group (an extremely large French construction conglomerate with substantial interests in the UK) I further developed my experience of large-scale construction and commercial contracts.
In 2008 I took over as Head of Legal for one of Bouygues’s largest subsidiaries in the UK managing a team of lawyers with overall responsibility for all legal matters that affected this dynamic and growing energy and construction focused business. My work included working on and negotiating numerus PFI projects, general Project Finance contracts, large and complicated contractual matters, standard form contracts, employment matters as well as being the CEO for numerous Special Purpose Vehicles on very large complicated construction projects both domestically and internationally.
I have been involved in large scale international acquisitions in Canada for Bouygues and once businesses were acquired had responsibility for the provision of the legal services for substantial entities in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
I was also responsible for all dispute resolution for the business, giving advice to various Boards of Directors, involving litigation before the High Court both in England and Wales as well as in Scotland, managing multiple Adjudications, managing Employment Tribunal cases, leading direct negotiations with opposing parties seeking settlements and being a party in numerous mediations.
As I always approached issues with a strong commercial understanding knowing I had to seek the optimum outcome I believe I have a deep understanding of key business drivers and commercial imperatives.
I also qualified as an Adjudicator whilst with Bouygues and thereafter as an Accredited Mediator. As such I believe I fully understand and appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods of despite resolution open to businesses and individual and have a well-rounded legal experience which serves me well acting as a Mediator for you and your business.
I am very personable individual and colleagues and professional parties alike routinely comment on the fact that I am sensible, pragmatic, realistic and easy to work with.
Some of our more recent settlements include:
Project Finance / PFI
Building Schools for the Future (BSF). Multi-million-pound 25-30 year commercial -concession contracts for the Design, Build, Finance and Operate (‘DBFO’) of schools
- Multiple million-pound Streetlighting PFI Contracts for numerous Local Councils around the UK – 25 year concession
- PFI Contracts for the Home Office
- DBFO Prison Contracts
- Youth Justice Board – Youth Detention Centres
- Immigration Detention Centres
- Managing and resolving the numerous disputes that inevitably come with PFI / Complex contractual arrangements.
- CEO for Barking, London Schools PFI Projects
- CEO for a PFI Hospital Project in Vancouver
- CEO for RCMP (Canadian Police) Headquarters PFI Project in Vancouver
- CEO for 3 further schools PFI projects in Lewisham, London
- Turnkey Contracts
- Multiple Construction Contracts to include JCT, NEC, IChemE, FIDIC plus Bespoke Contracts
- Involvement in negotiating sub-contracts on the Hinkley Point Nuclear Power Station Project
- Renewable Energy Contracts –Solar Projects, Wind Projects, Energy from Waste / Bio-fuels Projects
- HVAC Contracts
- Highways Contracts – intelligent infrastructure on M1, M40, M6, M25
- Facilities Management Contract – Schools, Hospitals, Universities / TUPE
- Dispute Management – in relation to the above scope of work.
- Construction and Engineering
- HVAC Contracts
- Renewable Energy (Solar, Wind, Energy from Waste)
- Highways – intelligent motorways
- Commercial disputes / litigation
- Power Generation Plants
- International Contracts – Canada (Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal)
- High Court litigation – England and Wales & in Scotland
- Facilities Management Contracts
- PFI Contracts – Schools / Street Lighting
- Dealing / liaising with ACAS
- Managing Employment Tribunal Cases – Unfair / Constructive Dismissal, Redundancy issues, Unlawful Deduction of Wages, Discrimination / TUPE.
Training Courses Delivered
- The Anatomy of a Contract – Overview of Contracts and how they are constructed
- Understanding NEC Contracts – An Overview and Practical Issues
- JCT Contracts – Operation and Negotiation
- Guide to Adjudication – An Overview of the Adjudication Process
- Outsourcery – The Magic of Staff Transfers – a guide to TUPE issues
- De-mystifying PFI and Project Finance – a guide to PFI/Project Finance
- General Compliance – A guide to the Bribery Act & Corporate Manslaughter Legislation
- Solving Disputes – Understanding the different options/processes for dispute resolution.
With my extensive legal experience, professional and friendly approach, I’m sure I can help you achieve a good outcome in resolving your disputes. Please contact me by clicking on the ‘Respond’ link above.
(BSc Econ Hons, Diploma in law, Diploma in Adjudication, Barrister & Accredited Mediator)
Subject to and compliant with the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors’ Code of Conduct for Mediators